Blog Posts and Articles
PODCAST: Dr. Joseph Featured on OC87 Recovery Diaries Podcast
This is a follow-up interview regarding the article below. In it I open up about aspects of my work and my development as a therapist. It might help you get a better idea of some of my ideas about my work.
Psychologist Maury Joseph, Psy.D.: A Therapist with a Unique Perspective
Dr. Joseph’s goodtherapy.org Blog Posts
I publish monthly blog posts on goodtherapy.org as a “topic expert” for ISTDP and somatization. This page will keep a running list of links to my contributions to goodtherapy.org:
- NEW! Is CBT the ‘Gold Standard’? Examining the Evidence
- NEW! How to Refer Someone to Therapy (and How Not To)
- When Our Dinosaurs Return: In the Mind, There Is No Extinction
- Can We Control What We Think? Wild Thoughts and What to Do with Them
- Desire in Psychotherapy: Whose Therapy is it Anyway?
- Our Emotions and Our Health: Understanding Medically Explained Symptoms
- Learning to Suffer: How Avoiding Your Suffering Can Make it Worse
- The Temptation of Self-Rejection, the Promise of Self-Acceptance
- The Discomfort of Not Knowing: How to Live with Unanswered Questions
- Psychological Spinach: Building Resilience by Embracing Your Truth
- ISTDP Shows Promise in Addressing Treatment-Resistant Depression
- What Do Your Pet’s Eyes Say to You?: Understanding Projection
- Therapy’s Goal: Finding Pathology or Accepting Complexity?
- The ‘Shoes’ We Carry: When Old Relational Roles Stop Fitting
- How Long Does Therapy Take, Anyway?
- Harsh Thoughts and Irritable Bowels: Self-Criticism, Smooth Muscle Anxiety, and How ISTDP Helps
- Do Your Physical Symptoms Have an Emotional Explanation?
- Should’ This, ‘Should’ That: Learning to Embrace What Is
- Why We Talk About the Therapeutic Relationship in ISTDP
- 3 More Patterns That Could Be Keeping Your Therapy Stuck
- Stuck in Therapy? These 3 Patterns Could Be Contributing
- Dealing with Depression: Why ‘Get Over It’ Doesn’t Work
- How ISTDP Can Address Two Major Barriers to Mindfulness
- How to Reach Out to a Person Stuck Behind a ‘Wall’
Dr. Joseph’s Guest Blog for OC87 Recovery Diaries
Running is Useless: Becoming a Therapist is the Therapy I Needed
This a more personal essay about some aspects of my emotional development as a therapist.
Dr. Joseph Featured in Washingtonian
“What Happens If I See You at The Store?” And 6 Other “Weird” Questions for a Therapist, Answered by a Pro
Dr. Joseph Featured in Self Magazine
How To Make New Friends As An Adult (Without Seeming Like A Creepy Stalker)
Dr. Joseph’s Guest Blogs for Dr. Claudia Salazar & Associates
Here are my guest blogs on Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms from the website of Dr. Claudia Salazar & Associates:
Barriers to Diagnosis of and Recovery from Medically Unexplained Physical Symptoms
Four Signs You Have Treatment Resistant Depression
Dr. Joseph’s Interview on Choosing a Therapist with Herbalist Melanie St. Ours of Psyche and Soma
Here is the recording of an interview I did with herbalist Melanie St. Ours from Psyche and Soma about choosing a therapist. Dr. Joseph answers questions about the links between emotions and physical symptoms, discusses optimal levels of anxiety and discomfort that facilitate learning in therapy, and offers advice about how to pick a therapist. NB: We had some microphone issues, but still a good chat!
Over the years I have come across a few songs that remind me of the therapy process. I am placing links to them here in the event that others will find them meaningful, and also to provide an artistic rendering of my orientation to the therapy process. For more about my orientation see my About Intensive Therapy page.
“Outer Scorpion Squadron” – The Mountain Goats
“Life is Hard” – Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeroes